Hi! How was your Christmas?! The day might be over and done, but I’m still listening to Christmas music and I refuse to take down any decorations until the New Year – it’s still the holiday season!
I had a wonderful Christmas Day. My Mom made it down the day before, and was there to help get everything set up for the big guy to come that night. I think Oscar was too excited by the pile of presents under the tree to notice that the cookies and milk were gone, or that Santa left his hat! Wally was mostly concerned with getting his morning banana (he is truly my son).
I spent most of Christmas day in the kitchen, first making breakfast, then lunch, then the whole turkey shebang. I am SO grateful that my Mom was here to help with all of the dishes and most importantly, the gravy. Everything turned out great – including that bundt cake I talked about.
All that hustle and bustle in the kitchen meant I needed a little shot of caffeine in the afternoon! Etienne and my Mom were sipping on an apple cider/fireball whiskey concoction (jealous), but since I’m growing another human, I had to pass. Lucky for me, I’ve perfected the eggnog latte this season! If you like the Starbucks eggnog lattes this time of year, you’ll love this.
A homemade latte is the easiest thing to make – and sooo much cheaper than one from Starbucks. You’ll need some instant espresso powder – I like the Nescafe brand.
I know you’re wondering about that steamed eggnog part about the latte. Easy.
I love to use my Bodum milk frother, but if you don’t have one, you could use a handheld electric milk frother or even a sealed glass jar that you can easily shake up!
A homemade latte is all about the timing. You want to time your water to boil at the same time as your milk steams/froths up. I like to measure out the espresso powder first, then turn the kettle on for the water as soon as I see my eggnog become steaming hot.
Pour the boiling water over the espresso powder, give it a quick stir, and pour the foamed eggnog on top. Finish it off with whipped cream and some nutmeg!
Since eggnog has been on the shelves, I’ve been making these on a regular basis. I hope you get a chance to try one out before eggnog disappears until next year!!
Happy (almost) New Year Friends!!
See you in 2018 🙂
You’ll never believe how easy it is to make your own creamy, steaming eggnog latte at home! Take advantage of it during this holiday season!
- 2 tsp instant espresso
- 4 oz boiling water
- 2/3 cup eggnog*
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Whipped cream, nutmeg for topping (optional)
- Add the espresso powder into the bottom of your latte glass.
- In a small pot on the stove, heat the eggnog, maple syrup and cinnamon over medium-high heat until steaming hot – but before boiling.
- As you start to see steam coming from the eggnog, turn the kettle on to begin boiling the water.
- Pour the hot eggnog into a Bodum milk frother (if using) or a small glass mason jar. Froth up the eggnog (either by pumping the Bodum or shaking the jar vigorously) until you see a thick layer of foam.*
- Pour 4 oz of boiling water on top of the espresso powder, give it a quick stir, then immediately pour the hot eggnog on top. Finish the latte with whipped cream and more cinnamon and nutmeg, if desired. Enjoy immediately!
- I like to use regular eggnog, but light eggnog will work too!
- If using a mason jar, you’ll want to use an oven mitt and be careful when opening the lid after shaking – steam will be released!!