So it might be winter, but I have made a bit of a resolution for next month that I’m going to try to get more fresh air and exercise outdoors, at least as much as possible. If I had started this at the beginning of February, I would have called this “Walk-ruary”. Since I’m starting this in March, I’m going to call it…wait…March. I’ll just call it MARCH. (Get it, “march-ing”)?! Ok, that’s lame. But my lame-ness is no surprise to you guys by now!
I asked a few of you on Instagram the other day when I teased this smoothie whether you just save smoothies for the summer time. It sounds like a lot of you make it a year-round thing! Phew! If you had gone the other way I would have second guessed posting this beauty in February!
Thankfully, I can get all gushy on you about it. IT IS SO GOOD. It also has no added sugar and it’s low-carb, but that’s really neither here nor there. It’s full of fat. Did I just say that? Maybe not the nicest way to describe something I’m trying to convince you to make, BUT it’s also true. Full fat coconut milk, and full fat Greek yogurt are two of the main ingredients, and the responsible culprits for the oooooh so smooth and creamy texture. A little bit of lemon juice, a few blackberries, and some sweet, frozen blueberries complete the party.
If you’re not keen on the full fat concept, you can definitely substitute with light coconut milk and light Greek yogurt, but I really recommend trying the full fat! It makes the smoothie almost a milkshake-like consistency, plus it adds so much flavor! You can also toss in a bit of honey if you like your smoothies on the sweeter side of things.
Did you know I’ve taken photos of this smoothie on 3 different occasions? I was just never happy with the photos. Who would have thought photographing a smoothie would be that difficult? The photos from this post were the best of the bunch.
We’re anticipating another couple of weeks of ridiculously cold temperatures, so you might find me nestled up on the couch in a housecoat drinking one of these smoothies, wishing I was somewhere warm and tropical! I call it the “Winter Blues” smoothie for a reason!
Cold weather or not, perk up those winter blues with this blueberry smoothie! Blueberries, blackberries and a touch of lemon make this sugar-free, thick and creamy smoothie your new favourite!
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk*
- 1/2 cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt*
- 1 cup frozen blueberries*
- 1/2 cup blackberries (or additional blueberries)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)*
- In a blender or food processor, add the ingredients as they are listed. Blend until smooth and creamy, and taste to adjust the flavors as necessary (more lemon juice, honey, etc). Serve immediately!
- You may use light coconut milk, but the smoothie will not be as thick and creamy!
- Substitute for light yogurt, or even vanilla flavored!
- Using frozen berries will result in a thick consistency; you can use fresh, but the smoothie will not be as thick
- If you like your smoothies on the sweeter side, add the honey