*Please note* this post has been updated as of March 14, 2019. The post and recipe remains the same, but the photos have been updated, along with a video at the bottom of the recipe card to show you how easy these are to make!
Meet the newest member of my green monster family – the muffins! Actually, they’re not new in any sense, since I’ve been making them since Oscar started eating solid food, BUT they are new to LIMO. I got the original recipe from a friend a few years back, courtesy of a blog called the Green Forks; it looks like the site is no longer up and running, but luckily I’ve made and tweaked the recipe enough over the years that I don’t actually need the site anymore!
These muffins were actually the inspiration behind my green monster baked donuts too! It’s an easy, fun way to get a TON of spinach into kids, without them even knowing it. Muwahah!
If you’ve been following along for a while, you’ll know that I love to bake without refined sugars (as much as possible), and bananas are one of my favourite ways to pack a ton of natural sweetness into something; these banana muffins are only sweetened with banana!
Since we’re packing a whopping 6 ounces of spinach into these bad boys, you will definitely want to add some additional sweetener along with the bananas; my preference is honey, but if your babe is under 1 or you’d prefer a different sweetener, you can swap the honey for agave or maple syrup.
The muffins are super easy to make! The spinach and bananas are combined in a blender or food processor, along with the other wet ingredients, and then mixed into the dry. I use a combo of whole wheat flour and white flour to ensure the muffins aren’t too dense and heavy; I’ve never been able to get my hands on white whole wheat flour, but if you have some I think you could use it, instead of the mix.
Isn’t this green colour just brilliant!? I love it! The kids don’t mind it either – they’re still too young to be scared of anything green. I am being 100% honest when I say the first day I made these, Wally would not stop asking for them. I think it’s pretty much all he ate that day, and I was ok with it (yay spinach)! It certainly made for an interesting diaper the following day….sorry…
Since it’s March 2nd, I figure it’s perfect timing to start rolling out all of the green recipes in my arsenal – I’ve got a few more up my sleeve! If you need a healthy St. Patrick’s Day inspired treat for your kids, or for yourself, you’ve gotta try these monster muffins!
Green Monster Muffins
Yield 15 muffins
Sneak some spinach into your family's diet in the form of a vibrantly green, fluffy muffin sweetened with natural sugars and full of healthy ingredients.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk*
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup avocado oil*
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Line two 12-cup muffin tins with liners (you'll make about 15) and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together.
- To a blender or food processor, add the almond milk, spinach (pack it down to fit), oil, bananas and honey and mix on high until the spinach is completely pureed. Add the vanilla extract and mix for a few more seconds.
- Pour the blender contents into the dry ingredients, and stir together just until combined. Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 - 3/4 full and bake for 16-18 minutes*, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Muffins stay fresh at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-4 days; they will last longer in the fridge and can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Use any type of milk in place of almond milk (dairy, coconut, etc)
- Melted coconut oil, grapeseed oil, or vegetable oil also work
- For mini muffins, bake for 10-11 minutes.
Original recipe from The Green Forks (link no longer working).
Next up – Green Monster Donuts!