This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Want to know how to make margaritas at home? This is the BEST simple margarita recipe! It’s an easy, 3 ingredient margarita with basic ingredients. Perfect with a plate of nachos!
Just in time for Cinco de Mayo!
Do you guys usually celebrate on May the 5th? We have attended a few parties in the past but we don’t usually do anything too exciting on Cinco de Mayo. I do make an effort to at least serve Mexican though 😉 This year we’re having burritos and – you guessed it – a simple margarita!
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the frosty, flavored, exotic margaritas when we go out to eat at a Mexican restaurant, but these are often loaded up with sugar and are more about the syrup they’re adding than the actual tequila. And I am a tequila girl! Let’s clarify. Not a crazy spring-break tequila body shot, tequila girl BUT, a girl who enjoys the smooth flavor of a good quality tequila, and a girl who chooses a tequila shot if I MUST choose a shot 😉
If I’m going to order a cocktail, it’s more often than not a margarita or a mojito. Simple, refreshing and delicious!
What goes into a classic margarita?
Before there were spicy jalapeno margaritas, there was the simple margarita, composed of three ingredients:
- Tequila: you want a good quality tequila if you’re not adding any other sweeteners or jazzy things to the recipe. Etienne loves Casamigos, and I love it because it’s George Clooney’s brand…and I love George Clooney. You would preferably use a silver tequila, but it’s not a necessity. I didn’t use it here!
- Cointreau: you can also use Grand Marnier or Triple Sec, but you want to use a good quality orange liqueur (again, GOOD quality is the key here).
- Lime! Pretty self-explanatory, but please, please use fresh lime juice. The bottled stuff just isn’t the same!
A few other notes to make sure you get the best results:
- Salt your rim! Use a lime slice to wet the rim of a short glass, then dip the glass upside down in some coarse sea salt. That saltiness when you take a drink of margarita is a must!!
- Use a cocktail shaker, full of ice to mix all of the ingredients, before pouring it into your rimmed glass. The cocktail shaker will get the drink nice and cold before you strain it into a glass.
- All of the ice! A perfect, simple margarita is nice and cold, so fill your glass with ice after pouring your drink. The bigger ice cubes the better, so they only keep the drink cold and not melt right away!
Can you make the margarita sweeter?
Truthfully, I like these just as they are, but if you like your margs a bit sweeter, you can add a touch of agave syrup or simple syrup to your drink to sweeten it up a bit! I would keep it to half an ounce or so.
You could also switch out the Cointreau for orange juice. It’s got a touch more sweetness and it’s so fresh and delicious!
Trust me, these simple margaritas are so good just as they are. Etienne had one too many the night I perfected this recipe 😉 (Hopefully he doesn’t read how I’m ratting him out, haha).
What can I serve simple margaritas with?
Obviously, Mexican food comes straight to mind, such as:
Margaritas are also great with some of these other appetizers and snacks:
Whatever you serve these juicy drinks up with, it’ll be a good choice! Once you make one you’ll realize just how easy they are!
Oh, and May the 4th be with you 🙂
Some other cocktails from the blog:Print
Want to know how to make margaritas at home? This is the BEST simple margarita recipe! It’s an easy, 3 ingredient margarita with basic ingredients.
- 2 oz good quality tequila*
- 1 oz Cointreau (sub Triple Sec or Grand Marnier)
- 1 oz fresh lime juice (~lime)**
- salt, for the rim of the glass
- optional: 1/2 oz agave syrup or simple syrup, to sweeten up
- Use a wedge of lime to moisten the rim of a short cocktail glass and place the glass onto a small plate filled with sea salt, lining the edge with salt.
- In a cocktail shaker with 3 cubes of ice, add the tequila, Cointreau, and fresh lime juice. If using syrup, add it to the shaker! Now shake it baby! For about 10-15 seconds or until the shaker feels very cold. Strain out the cocktail from the shaker into the salt-rimmed glass. Top with large cubes of ice, and a wedge or lime. Serve immediately!
*Use a good quality tequila! Since we’re not adding any other sweeteners, you’ll want a smooth, great quality brand of tequila. We like Casamigos.
**In a pinch, you can use the bottled lime juice, but trust me when I saw fresh lime juice is 10x better!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: cocktails
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: BEST simple margarita // 3 ingredient margarita // best margarita recipe ever // classic margarita