Have you ever had the Sweets & Beets chips by Terra? Please tell me you have. They’re one of my guilty pleasures! I know, I know, my guilty pleasure is vegetable chips? Puh-lease. But don’t be fooled – they might be “veggie” chips, but they aren’t necessarily kind to your waistline. Especially when you consume an entire bag on the way home from the grocery store…..
Anyway, I LOVE the sweet potato/beet combo and have been cranking it out hard this summer on the grill. It’s such an easy combo to prepare, and the kids really like both vegetables! Now that the cooler weather is coming, I’ve been experimenting with more dishes that I can do in the oven, and sheet pan dinners are always an easy win.
A recent discovery of mine is the power of chicken thighs. I always steered clear of them, since they’re not nearly as nice to slice up as a chicken breast, and the bones seemed like such a hassle! On a whim one day during a massive Costco shopping trip, I purchased a large tray of the bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. At first I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with them, but after throwing a few in the oven to roast, I was converted. I’ve always been a dark meat fan, and chicken thighs are nothing short of juicy – plus if you’re roasting them in the oven, the skin gets so nice and crispy. Total win! OH, and they’re much cheaper than chicken breasts.
September is here, and for a lot of us that means our weeks are going to get really, really busy. You definitely need a few quick n’ easy dinners up your sleeve! One-pot wonders like this cheesy Mexican quinoa skillet are lifesavers, and so is this sheet pan chicken dinner!
You’ll want to use a half-sheet pan, since it’s large enough to accommodate all of the veggies and chicken thighs. If you don’t own a half-sheet pan, you can just use a large rimmed baking sheet. A good tip that I’ve learned along the way is to heat your sheet pan up in the oven while it preheats. When you add the chicken thighs to this pre-heated pan, it creates a nice sizzle, ensuring you end up with that perfect, crispy skin!
The seasonings on this dish are pretty simple; I love to use paprika and garlic with my roasted sweet potatoes. It’s delicious!
A little bit of chopping, some seasonings, and you’ve got yourself an easy, tasty dinner ready in 30-40 minutes. Enjoy!
A one-pan wonder, these crispy chicken thighs with sweets and beets are ready in no time at all, and will make the whole family happy!
- 6 (2 lbs) skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 small beets, diced into 1/2” chunks
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into 1” chunks
- Place a half-sheet (18×13) pan into the oven and begin preheating the oven to 400 F.
- Prepare the chicken by rubbing 1 tbsp. of the olive oil into the skin. Once the oven has preheated, remove the sheet pan and place the chicken thighs, skin side down onto the baking sheet. Roast the chicken for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting, combine together the paprika, garlic salt and sea salt. Toss the diced beets and sweet potatoes together with the remaining olive oil.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and using a spatula, flip them over so the skin is up. Scatter the sweets and beets throughout the pan evenly. Rub half of the combined seasonings into the skin of each chicken thigh. Sprinkle the remaining seasoning over the sweets and beets. Place the pan back into the oven for 15 minutes more. Remove the pan again and give the veggies a little stir around with a spatula. If there are a lot of juices in the pan, drain some of it off before placing the pan back into the oven for 10-15 more minutes, or until both the sweets and beets are fork-tender and the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately!
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.