Yay! My first instant pot recipe. You can trust me when I say this one is good, because I’ve been making it over, and over, and over again. I actually made it yesterday for lunch! It’s SO easy and SO good. Even the kids like it, because they can slurp it out of a cup easily. It’s so smooth!
I’ve been eating a lot of cauliflower lately, but you’ve heard me rave about cauliflower before. Have you tried my crispy Mongolian cauliflower yet!? Since getting my instant pot a couple of months ago, I’ve been experimenting with all different ways to cook cauliflower. Cauliflower mash and cauliflower soup are my favourites! I feel like I just said ‘cauliflower’ way too many times in this paragraph.
Moving on. We’re still FREEZING here. Did you see us “make snow” the other day on my Insta stories? The temperatures had reached a mere -27 that day. So fun. The only saving grace from this weather is pre-school. Dear weather regulation people that make these very important decisions, please, PLEASE don’t let pre-school get cancelled because of the weather! The boys are absolutely stir-crazy from being inside so much!! It would be much easier to embrace the coziness inside due to the cold weather outside if I could just leisurely bake and snuggle under a blanket watching Netflix!
So, as you can imagine, I am really needing the cozy foods these days. This soup definitely hits the mark!
All in, I think this soup takes me 20 minutes now to have on the table. 20 minutes! Also, I almost always have the right ingredients on hand to whip it up.
Bacon! I’ve been eating a lot of it these days. I know it has a really bad reputation and it really is fatty, but it also adds so much flavor to dishes! I went through a long period in my life where I didn’t eat bacon at all, but I missed it too much. If I’m going to have a few not-so-terrible vices, bacon can be one of them.
You can guess from all of this bacon talk, that I use it in this recipe. I sauté my garlic and onions in the bacon grease before adding the cauliflower – BUT – feel free to omit the bacon and just use olive oil! It’s still delicious!
Oh, PS – this soup is also keto-friendly and paleo-friendly as well!
PPS – if you haven’t invested in an Instant Pot yet, you have to. But if you haven’t, I’ve included stovetop directions as well!
What cozy foods have you been eating during the deep freeze? If you need some more ideas, I’ve thrown a few recipes at the bottom of this post. My favourite is the white chicken chili!
Have a great weekend my friends, and stay warm!!
Make this cozy and delicious EASY instant pot loaded cauliflower soup the next time you need a recipe to warm you up! Velvety and smooth, and ready in 20 minutes!
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped (~8 cups)
- 3 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk*
- 1/2 cup sour cream*
- 1 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- diced green onions, for garnishing
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté and add the diced bacon. Cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until brown and crispy. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-towel lined plate. Reserve 2 tbsp. of the bacon grease* in the Instant Pot and discard the rest. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Pour in the broth, followed by the chopped cauliflower. Close the Instant Pot and ensure the valve is closed. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook (on high) for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure. When the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for about 5 minutes, then open the vent and release the remaining pressure. Open the lid.
- Add the cream/milk and either use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it reaches a creamy consistency, or transfer the soup to a blender (you might have to do this in batches) and blend until smooth. If using a blender, transfer the soup back into the Instant Pot and turn it to sauté. Add the sour cream and 1/2 cup of the cheese, and stir to incorporate, cooking for about 3 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve the soup immediately, topping it with the remaining shredded cheese, the cooked bacon, sour cream and green onions!
- Follow the directions as above, beginning with sautéing the bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the broth and cauliflower to the pot, and bring the liquid to a boil. Turn the heat down and put the lid on, simmering for about 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is fork-tender. Follow the remaining directions as above.
- I don’t recommend using anything lighter than whole milk, or the soup will not be creamy!
- I used full-fat sour cream but feel free to use “light”.
- If you decide to omit the bacon, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in the Instant Pot for 1 minute before sautéing the onions and garlic.
Try some of these cold weather favourites this week!