Guys, the weather around here has been miserable. We had ONE day of sunshine last week, and it was glorious! The kids and I spent the whole day outside! Fall is usually my absolute favourite time of the year, but when I think of fall I think of crisp sunny days, crunchy leaves and walks to school. Unfortunately, Mother Nature has a weird sense of humour and decided that she was going to transition straight from summer to winter this year 😐
It’s been nothing but rain, snow and overcast days lately. Snow. SNOW! I don’t know if you saw my Insta stories yesterday but we got hit with 20cm of snow!! 20CM!!! What. The. Heck.
Regardless of the weather outside, I’m still going to get excited about fall through my participation in a fall blog hop! I’ve been lucky enough to participate in the Christmas, spring and summer blog hops hosted by Kendra from Joy In Our Home this past year and now we’re celebrating all things fall! You may have even come to this post after salivating over the apple crumb cake by Countryside Cravings. Be sure to check out all of the other fun posts linked on this page after my recipe!
So after all of my complaining about the weather, the obvious solution is to drown my sorrows in one (or two) of these apple cinnamon gin fizz cocktails!! They couldn’t be easier to make, and they literally SCREAM fall when you take a sip. A simple apple cinnamon syrup comes together beforehand to create enough for 4-6 drinks, or 2 drinks to go with pancakes drizzled in apple cinnamon syrup 😉
The sliced apples in the drink are optional, but they look good and they make for a tasty little snack when you finish your cocktail! I also like to rim the glasses with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar to fancy things up a bit.
If you’re not a fan of gin, we’ve tried these drinks with vodka too and they were terrific.
I suggest you make yourself one of these fall cocktails while perusing the rest of the blog hop posts. Next up, pumpkin pie cheesecake by Chocolate with Grace!
A fall cocktail made with homemade apple cinnamon syrup, mixed with a splash of gin and topped up with some bubbly soda water. Cheers!
Apple Cinnamon Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 apple (any kind), sliced
- 2 oz apple cinnamon simple syrup
- 1 1/2 oz gin
- 3 oz soda water
- ice, to fill
- For the syrup: Stir the water, sugar and cinnamon together in a medium saucepan. Add the apple slices and place the saucepan on the stove over medium-high heat. Once the mixture starts bubbling, turn the stove to low and simmer with the lid on for 5-10 minutes. Remove the apple slices and pour the syrup into a jar to cool before using in your cocktails.
- In a cocktail glass, add the syrup and gin. Fill the glass 3/4 of the way full with ice, then top with soda water. Use a spoon to swirl everything together. Serve immediately.
- I like to rim my cocktail glasses with a cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- The syrup makes enough for 4-6 drinks; it will store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Be sure to visit all of the other fall blog hop posts!!
Mantles on Monday
Tablescapes on Tuesday