Everyone needs an easy go-to side dish for dinner parties; something you can throw together quickly, looks and tastes great, and always gets you rave reviews. Today, I’m happy to share with you my very own go-to dish! Prosciutto wrapped asparagus. SO good, and SO easy. I discovered this dish when I was on my own in University and starting to experiment with some “fancier” cooking (by “fancier” I really mean something other than spaghetti and tomato sauce). I couldn’t believe how easy this dish came together and how great it tasted. PLUS – it consists of only 3 ingredients, and goes well with just about every meal; I like to serve it with roasted chicken, roast beef and seafood.
The salty, savory prosciutto nicely complements the roasted, crispy asparagus, and the cheddar cheese on top is the perfect finishing touch.
When ready to start your dish, wash and trim your asparagus and pat them dry. Asparagus can come in all different widths; if you choose fairly thin pieces, you will be wrapping 2-3 asparagus per piece of prosciutto. If you end up with thick asparagus, you might only wrap 1. It’s really up to you!
Place the wrapped asparagus close together in a casserole dish; I used an 8×11″ dish.
Top the asparagus with the freshly grated cheddar cheese, and pop it into the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the asparagus is fork-tender. The dish keeps in the oven at “hold warm” very well, if you’re waiting for the rest of your dinner to complete.
I hope you find this Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus as versatile and enjoyable as we do; you might even end up adding it to your own side dish repertoire!
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
Yield 4 servings
A versatile side dish of salty, savory prosciutto wrapped around tender, roasted asparagus and topped with melted cheddar cheese.
- 16 medium-sized asparagus
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Wash and trim the asparagus, and pat dry.
- Using a cutting board, wrap one piece of prosciutto tightly around 2 pieces* of asparagus, and place into a casserole dish. Repeat with the remaining prosciutto and asparagus, placing them side by side.
- Top the wrapped asparagus with the grated cheddar cheese, and place into the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the asparagus can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Serve immediately, or keep in the oven at "hold warm" until ready to enjoy.
Leftovers will keep for 1 or 2 days in the fridge.
*Depending on the thickness of your asparagus, you may want to increase or decrease the number of asparagus per piece of prosciutto.