So, Easter weekend is over, and I’ve eaten my fair share of Easter candy. We prepared the boys’ baskets on Saturday night and obviously, we had to do some sampling to make sure everything they got from the bunny was sufficiently delicious. I had so much fun making up the baskets this year; I included some little hot wheels and some other things like stickers too – Wally only has 12 teeth, so we need to take care of them 😉
We went to my Mom’s for Easter dinner on Sunday, where another egg hunt was had. I have so many good memories of looking for Easter eggs with my cousins growing up, that it makes me so happy the boys got to experience the same fun with their own cousins this year.
I ate too much at dinner, as usual, but it was worth it. Did you see the cake I made for dessert? It turned out so good! I’m glad the leftovers stayed at my Mom’s though, I have had my fill of sweets!
Now, on to some healthier snacking this week.
Granola is one of my favourite things to snack on – it’s a little dangerous to keep around, since I like it so much – so I try to keep it fairly healthy (chocolate chips aside).
I’ve used coconut oil, natural peanut butter and pure maple syrup to bind everything together with the oats. The mix-ins are simply dark chocolate chips and peanut butter chips, and of course, some roasted peanuts. That’s it! You can throw this granola together in a matter of minutes!
I bake my granola at a low heat of 325 F, stirring it every 15 minutes or so. You can add the chips right after removing the granola from the oven if you want the chocolate to clump up (delicious), or wait until it has cooled down a bit before adding them.
I usually have a stash of my favourite coco-chocolate pecan granola in the pantry, but this peanut butter one is a nice alternative to switch things up sometimes!
You can bet I’ll be munching on this during those upcoming late-night nursing sessions that are about to hit me. Snacks are necessary!
My friends, spring is officially upon us, snow and all. It’s lighter out later, Easter has come and gone, and it’s APRIL. We made it!
Peanut Butter Granola
Yield 3 cups
Homemade is always better! Try this easy and delicious granola recipe with all natural peanut butter, coconut oil and maple syrup. Perfect for breakfast, or an any-time snack!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats and peanuts.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the coconut oil, peanut butter and maple syrup. Heat the mixture together in 30 second increments until the coconut oil is melted and you can easily whisk the mixture together. Pour the mixture all over the oats and peanuts, stirring with a large spoon and ensuring the oats are completely covered. Spread the oats evenly onto a large rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove the granola from the oven, and either add the dark and peanut butter chips immediately and stir to create chocolate "clumps", or wait 15 minutes to add them. Leave the granola to cool completely before storing.
Granola will keep in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
Granola lover? Try these recipes too!