Granola!! Do you love it as much as I do? I love it for breakfast, as a snack, or even a late-night treat. It’s pretty much good any time of day. I do like my granola a bit on the decadent side, but I try to keep it somewhat reasonable so I can justify it for breakfast 😉 Regardless, homemade always beats store-bought in terms of “good for you”!
Today’s particular granola is my newest snacking addiction – it’s granola – so it’s gotta fit into the whole January “healthy eating” thing right? I have made 2 batches of this stuff in the past week, no word of a lie. It’s SO simple, with only 5 ingredients! Just about as simple to make as it is to eat. Almost.
The granola is made up of walnuts, dried cranberries and rolled oats, all smothered in a delicious concoction of Nutella (or notella) and honey. The Nutella adds that nutty, chocolatey taste we all know and love, and the honey acts as the binder. I dare you to just TRY not to eat a big spoonful of the Nutella and honey mixture before you add it to the granola….I would actually urge you to account for that giant tablespoon (or two) in your measurements…just a suggestion. I mean, look at it. ♥
One thing to mention – I always add the cranberries at the beginning, so they can get all plump and roasted along with the oats. Their flavour does change a bit during the baking process, and they will be a bit harder. If you think you’d prefer your cranberries just the way they are, add them at the end, right after the oats come out of the oven!
If you’re a fan of experimenting, or you’re just not a fan of some of the mix-ins to this granola, the Nutella-honey base is the perfect starting point for making your own perfect granola combination. Swap the walnuts for almonds, or the cranberries for cherries. Heck, you could even add in some chocolate chips! Just be sure to keep your mix-ins to about one and a half cups. Or you could just not mess with a good thing and leave things as is…(PERFECT).
Nutella walnut granola. It’s waiting for you. Go get it!Print
Chocolatey, nutty, crunchy granola. Breakfast, dessert, or a late-night snack!
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup Nutella or notella
- 1/3 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, walnuts and cranberries.* In another bowl, melt the honey and Nutella together in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or until the mixture is quite runny.
- Pour the honey/Nutella mixture over the oat mixture, and working quickly, use a large wooden spoon to thoroughly combine, ensuring all of the oats are covered. Spread the oats into an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring the mixture every 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the granola from the oven and allow it to cool completely; it’ll come out soft, but will crisp up as it comes to room temperature. Store in an airtight container!
Granola will keep for a few weeks in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Baking the cranberries will cause them to be a bit tougher, with a “roasted” flavour. If you prefer to leave them as is, add them at the end, when the granola comes out of the oven.
You’ve also gotta try my cherry almond granola!