You can’t be that surprised that I snuck in one more green recipe before St. Patty’s, right?! I’ve been thinking about this recipe for quite a while now, but I had yet to try it until a few weeks ago.
I wish I had known about the glory of this no churn ice cream earlier, as I can distinctly remember a few times that I was craving green tea ice cream in a big way. I actually even posted about it in one of my 10 Thoughts last year. I ended up borrowing my in-laws’ ice cream maker and making some that way, but it was quite a bit of effort and time.
I first tried matcha ice cream in Japan, waaaaay back in 2011. I was hooked! It’s so good. While always a big fan of green tea, I had never tried mixing that flavor into anything sweet.
If you like that sweet, green tea flavour, you’ll love this ice cream. It’s so easy it’s almost embarrassing! It’s actually only three ingredients. THREE! Plus, you can make the matcha flavour as strong as you’d like, simply by adding more or less matcha powder to the base.
I buy my matcha powder at Bulk Barn (dangerous place), but you can also find it at most specialty tea shops. There are a few different types of matcha powder, and I can’t claim to know what the difference between all of them is. This might be a good question for that employee at the speciality tea shop!
This no churn ice cream consists of the same 2 ingredients as all of my other no churns; heavy whipping cream and condensed milk. The matcha powder gets added into the whipping cream prior to whipping it, and then the condensed milk is folded into the mixture. That’s it! Freeze for 5-6 hours and all of the green tea ice cream can be yours 🙂
I mentioned in my post yesterday that we’re going out for St. Patrick’s Day tomorrow – although a large part of me wants to just sit at home on the couch and eat some of this ice cream, I’m sure I’ll be glad I made it out once I get there!
I hope you celebrate the day of green in your own special way. Happy weekend!
Smooth and creamy green tea ice cream made with 3 simple ingredients!!
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 300 mL can sweetened condensed milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the heavy whipping cream and matcha powder (I used 1.5 tbsp but for a stronger flavour use 2 tbsp). Whip on high for 5 minutes or until the whipping cream begins to form stiff peaks.
- Using a spatula, fold the condensed milk into the whipped cream until combined. Pour the mixture into a standard size loaf pan or similarly sized freezer-safe container and freeze the ice cream for 5-6 hours or until firm.
Ice cream will keep in the freezer for 1-2 weeks.