Using healthier date syrup as a sweetener, this homemade eat-more bar recipe is the one you’ve been looking for! It’s sweet, salty and chewy and totally addictive! Homemade eat-more bars will become a new family favourite!
When was the last time you had an Eat-more bar?! For my US readers, these bars are a Hershey creation made only in Canada (I believe) that seem to fly under the radar for most people. They’re so good though! These bars are called a “dark chocolate toffee chew” bar. Does that not sound delicious!? Chewy, nutty and completely addictive.
One of my favourite hobbies is to try to recreate some of my favourite treats at home, and if I can put even a slightly healthier spin on it without sacrificing the flavour, I do that too!
What makes these Eat-more bars healthier?
Well, other than the fact that they’re homemade, which I believe just automatically makes something healthier since there are no additives and weird preservatives, these bars are also made with a few other key changes:
- date syrup instead of corn syrup
- all-natural smooth peanut butter
My favourite brand of date syrup is LIVA, which is a newer company but they’re quickly expanding! Date syrup is all natural, vegan and nut free, and even contains less syrup than honey. It’s a great alternative for natural sweeteners!
What ingredients do you need for these homemade bars?
You only need a few simple ingredients for these bars! A much shorter ingredient list than the one on a chocolate bar package 🙂
- chocolate chips
- date syrup
- all-natural peanut butter
- rolled oats
- chopped peanuts
- pure vanilla extract
If you want to keep this recipe vegan, you can absolutely use dairy-free chocolate chips.
How do you make homemade eat-more bars?
1. Start the recipe by lining an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. In a small saucepan add the chocolate chips, date syrup and peanut butter together. Heat the mixture over low-medium heat and continuously stir until the chocolate is thoroughly melted.
2. Once melted, remove the mixture from heat and stir in the rolled oats, chopped peanuts and vanilla extract. Empty everything into the prepared pan and smooth it out the best you can. It’ll be a little bit sticky!
3. Refrigerate the bars for 4-5 hours before removing the bars from the fridge and cutting into 16 squares.
How long do the bars last?
You definitely have to store these bars in the fridge, in an airtight container. They’ll keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge and up to 2 months in the freezer. To thaw from the freezer, just thaw them overnight in the fridge. Honestly, these bars are actually great frozen too!
Are these homemade eat-more bars gluten free?
Yes! Hooray! These bars are gluten-free, and can easily be made vegan by using dairy-free chocolate chips. They are a great recipe for those friends of ours with food intolerances!
Can you substitute anything else for the date syrup?
Since date syrup can be tricky to find, you can absolutely use corn syrup in place of the date syrup. Personally I’m not a big fan of corn syrup! You could also try honey in this recipe, although I don’t think the bars will be quite as firm as if you were to use the corn or date syrup.
Some of my other favourite homemade candy you’ll love!
These candy recipes are all so simple and sweet! If you love these eat-more bars you’ll love these other recipes:
- homemade Bounty bars
- dark chocolate mini peanut butter cups
- homemade chocolate and strawberry marshmallows
Using healthier date syrup as a sweetener, this homemade eat-more bar recipe is the one you’ve been looking for! It’s sweet, salty and chewy and totally addictive!
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup date syrup*
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside. In a small saucepan, add the chocolate chips, date syrup and peanut butter. Heat the mixture over low-medium heat on the stove, stirring continuously, until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the rolled oats, chopped peanuts and vanilla extract and combine thoroughly. Empty the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth it out the best you can! Place the pan in the fridge for 4-5 hours to chill.
- Remove the bars from the fridge and cut them into 16 squares.
Store the bars in the fridge, in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. If you’re stacking the bars, place parchment paper in between the layers to prevent sticking.
The bars will also last in the freezer, in an airtight container, for up to 2 months. Thaw them overnight in the fridge!
*If you can’t find date syrup you can substitute for corn syrup or honey
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: candy
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: canadian
Keywords: homemade eat-more bar recipe // homemade eat-more bars