Soft, pillowy garlic butter breadsticks can be yours in just over an hour! This easy breadsticks recipe is completely from scratch and COMPLETELY delicious!
Hello, Friday! Phew, we made it! This week felt long – although I think I feel this way most weeks. It’s WINTER, man! Dragging its arse. Come on, spring! And spring recipes!
Speaking of recipes, do you guys have those “go-to” recipes that you make over and over again? I definitely have a few, including my coconut curry fusion bowl and these breakfast cookies. Meet my newest “go-to” on the blog. Easy garlic butter breadsticks!! These soft, pillowy, buttery, garlic-infused mini loaves of delight are one of our favourites. We love them with chili, soups, and even pasta, when we’re craving alllll the carbs. Which is pretty much every day.
This really is an easy breadsticks recipe. You have to let them rise for about an hour, so there’s a wee bit of wait-time but an hour isn’t too bad! I’m usually preparing the rest of dinner during that time, anyway. Don’t be intimidated by the yeast! It’s fairly fool-proof – and you don’t even need a stand-mixer for these!
What makes this an easy breadsticks recipe?
The ingredients for this recipe are simple:
- olive oil
You don’t even need a mixer for this recipe! Just start by mixing up the ingredients by hand, then knead the dough a few times and get to the part where they rise! The breadsticks will look rather uninspiring before rising, but after that hour of rise-time they’re looking soft and delicious!
You’ll bake them for only 6-7 minutes before brushing them with garlic butter, and baking for another 5-6 minutes. Oh, and then brushing them with more garlic butter. I never said these were a health food….but trust me. You need that garlic butter!!
Can you make this easy breadsticks recipe ahead of time?
These breadsticks are best enjoyed immediately out of the oven, but they’re super good re-heated. You can wrap them up in some aluminum foil and pop them in the oven at 275 F for 15-20 minutes, or just microwave them.
This is also an easy recipe to double if you’re feeding a crowd, or if you just really like breadsticks! I’ve also tried making these with half whole-wheat flour, and they still work out awesome! I haven’t tried it with all whole wheat flour, but I suspect they’d be quite dense.
If you’re a big fan of the Olive Garden breadsticks, you’ll love these buttery pillows of heaven! The only thing missing now is that signature salad of theirs…I may have to recreate that next! I love it!
You need these in your life! Just another go-to recipe to make your life easier (and more delicious).
What do you serve garlic butter breadsticks with?
These breadsticks go great with soup. I’ve got a few ideas from the blog:Print
Soft, pillowy, garlic butter breadsticks that can be yours in just over an hour! Completely from scratch and COMPLETELY delicious!
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Garlic Butter Topping
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water with the yeast and allow it to sit for 10 minutes, until the yeast begins to foam up.
- Add 2 cups of the flour, the salt, honey and olive oil and stir with a large wooden spoon until combined and a soft dough begins to form. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour a little at a time, stopping when the dough starts pulling away from the sides of the bowl and stops feeling sticky. You may not need the whole 1/4 cup!
- On a floured surface, separate the dough into 6-7 equal-sized balls (use a scale for accuracy if you’d like). Roll each ball of dough between your hands, one at a time until a “log” is formed. Place the formed breadsticks on the baking sheet about 2-3″ apart. Cover the breadsticks with a clean kitchen towel and allow them to rest for 45 minutes to an hour, until the breadsticks have almost doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Once preheated, remove the kitchen towel and place the breadsticks in the oven for about 6 minutes. While the breadsticks are baking, melt the butter in a microwave-safe dish and add the garlic powder and salt, stirring to combine. Remove the breadsticks, and using a pastry brush, brush the tops of them with half of the garlic butter. Place the breadsticks back into the oven for an additional 5-6 minutes, until the bottoms are slightly browned. Brush the remaining butter on top just prior to serving.
Breadsticks are best enjoyed immediately, but can be wrapped tightly in aluminum foil and re-heated in a 300 F oven for 10 minutes. Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Baked breadsticks can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
- I wouldn’t recommend substituting for all whole-wheat, but I’ve tested half whole-wheat and half all-purpose and they were great!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: side dishes
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: italian
Keywords: garlic butter breadsticks // easy breadsticks recipe // olive garden breadstick recipe // Italian breadsticks recipe // breadsticks recipe easy
Try these breadsticks with my white chicken chili!