This post is sponsored as part of Bob’s Red Mill’s #SomeBunnyLovesBobs campaign. I received free product from Bob’s Red Mill to help with the creation of this recipe. All thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this blog possible!
Another grain-free win for you today! And an EASY one. I have been wanting to try this recipe for crepes for SO long, since it contains so few ingredients, and its grain-free, gluten-free and sugar-free! At least the crepe part. You can imagine my excitement when a representative from Bob’s Red Mills reached out and asked if I wanted to be part of their #SomeBunnyLovesBob campaign, and try some of their products out for my spring baking. When I saw tapioca flour on the list, I HAD to have it. And guess what? These crepes turned out even better than I could have hoped!
Crepes can be a little tricky, I won’t lie. I find though, you start to develop a bit of a system as you start making them and it just gets easier and easier. This is an entirely different crepe recipe from the ones used for this pretty funfetti crepe cake. They contain less sugar, and less sugar means more delicious filling, right?
The filling for these crepes is SO easy too, and soooo good. Strawberry cream cheese, people!
You can make this filling in about 2 minutes. All you need is a block of cream cheese that’s been kept at room temperature for a few hours, and about 2 cups of strawberries. Throw them into the food processor together, along with a tablespoon of honey for a little extra sweetness and you’ve got yourself a terrific filling!
I actually made a double batch of the filling so I could put it on everything else in the world. It keeps for a couple of days in the fridge so I love to put it on everything from pancakes to oatmeal. SO. GOOD!
I am so happy to see the berries in the stores coming in full force. Everyone in my family loves berries, so we go a little crazy during berry season!
Another nice thing about these crepes is that they’re made in ONE BOWL and you can just mix the batter by hand with a whisk! I would recommend chilling the batter for about 30 minutes, but it’s not completely necessary.
If I’ve learned anything about making crepes, is that your pan needs to be greased very well in between each crepe! I use non-stick spray but you can definitely use a pat of butter or oil too. The recipe makes around 10 crepes, with an 8″ pan. You can certainly use a crepe maker too, if you are lucky enough to own one!
Don’t be intimidated by the idea of making crepes for your next weekend brunch – this recipe couldn’t get any easier!
You won’t believe how easy it is to make these 5-ingredient grain-free, gluten-free crepes, filled with a heavenly fresh strawberry cream cheese filling!
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup tapioca flour/starch
Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature*
- 2 tbsp honey
- Make the crepes. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together for a minute until slightly frothy. Add the milk and extracts, and whisk together until combined. A little at a time, gradually add in the tapioca flour, stirring with a large spoon until combined. Whisk the mixture together until there are no large lumps visible. Refrigerate the batter for around 30 minutes*.
- Heat an 8″- 9″ non-stick skillet over medium heat on the stove. Either spray the skillet with non-stick spray, or add a pat of butter or a teaspoon of oil, coating the entire surface of the skillet. Working quickly, pour about 1/4 cup batter in the center of the skillet, lifting it from the heat source and swirling it with your wrist to coat the entire surface of the skillet with the batter. Place the skillet back on the stove and cook for about 30 seconds to a minute, until the edges start to brown. Grab the edge of the crepe with your fingers and quickly flip it over, cooking on the other side for 20-30 more seconds. Remove the crepe to a plate to cool. Repeat with remaining crepe batter.
- Make the filling. Place the cream cheese in a food processor and pulse a few times to smooth it out. Add the strawberries and honey, and pulse for a minute or so until the mixture is smooth. Taste, and add more honey or strawberries as required.
- Spoon a tablespoon of strawberry cream cheese filling into each crepe, and add fresh berries. Fold, and serve!
Leftover crepes can be wrapped tightly in saran wrap and kept in the fridge for 1-2 days, or in the freezer for 2-3 weeks. Leftover strawberry filling can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Use the brick-style cream cheese, not the little tubs. I used full fat!
- It’s optional to refrigerate the batter – I found I got better results when it had a chance to rest in the fridge. If you’re short on time, you could skip this step!
Be sure to PIN these easy and delicious crepes for later!