I’m still here! Almost 39 weeks and holding strong – thank goodness – because now I can share with you this little treasure I’ve been sitting on for a month. I created this fudgy, rich, decadent masterpiece in a skillet one day when I was craving chocolate something fierce; but not just any chocolate. I wanted warmth, gooey-ness, and minimal effort. A little bit of a “healthier” treat wasn’t the worst idea either.
So not only is this brownie gluten-free, but it is definitely “clean” eating; it’s full of protein, thanks to the peanut butter (almond butter would work too), and it’s made with zero refined sugars! The whole thing only has 1/3 cup honey, and it’s also sweetened with banana. Pretty awesome, right? You could practically eat this for breakfast. Really. There’s even espresso powder in there, so you can get your coffee fix in too.
I like to top our skillet brownie with salted caramel sauce, and a bit of ice cream, but you could even use coconut whipped cream or nothing at all! The ice cream in these pictures is another no-churn recipe I’m perfecting – I can’t wait to share it too!!!
You can mix all of the ingredients up in one bowl, pop this beauty in the oven during dinner, and share a warm, yummy treat with your family for dessert. Or just make it for yourself, whenever you want. 😉 No judgement. It’s healthy, right!?
One little tip – if you undercook the brownie just a tad then it is also exceptionally gooey on the inside! I found 12-13 minutes to be just perfect.
Whew. I’m so glad I got this post out! Be sure to keep an eye on my Instagram stories for any baby developments (if there are any). Fingers crossed!
PS – make this brownie this weekend!!!!
Gluten-Free Skillet Brownie
Yield 1 skillet brownie
This fudgy, chocolatey, skillet brownie is almost too good to be true! Gluten-free, clean eating and baked in under 15 minutes. What more could you want!?
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter*
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder (optional)*
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 10" oven-safe skillet with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana until no large chunks remain. Add the peanut butter and combine thoroughly with a large wooden spoon. Add the honey, egg, coconut oil and vanilla extract and stir until combined. Add the cocoa powder, baking powder and instant espresso, if using. The batter will be very thick.
- Spread the batter evenly into the skillet, and bake for 12-13 minutes. Use a toothpick to test the center of the skillet after 12 minutes; it's ok if it's a little wet, if you'd like more of a gooey brownie. Top with ice cream and salted caramel sauce, and serve immediately!
Leftovers can be removed from the skillet and placed into an airtight container to keep at room temperature for 1-2 days.
- Sub the peanut butter for almond butter if you'd like. I used natural peanut butter.
- The espresso powder is entirely optional, but I find it really brings out the chocolate flavour (I promise, it won't taste like coffee)!