THIS. THIS is what has been getting me through the past few days of *insert shudder*….TEETHING. Uuuuugh. Seriously, I don’t want to be that Mom who complains about how hard it is raising little humans, because I truly, truly love my job as a Mother and I love my kids to the moon and back. BUT – and I really mean BUT – a teething toddler is enough to make anyone want to deposit their child somewhere safe and run far, far, FAR away.
Wally is a nightmare. A NIGHTMARE!!! I want to reach inside that tiny little mouth and pull alllllll the teeth down. Good grief.
So yah – I have been needing to console myself every night this week with this creamy, chocolately, velvety no-bake cherry tart. Poor me. 😉
YOU GUYS!!! This might be my favourite recipe EVER. I am over the moon about it. I have been experimenting with several no-bake desserts this summer and have suffered more than a few failures, but this one – THIS ONE is a winner!! Let me break it down for you:
- a graham cracker crust made WITH melted chocolate
- a ridiculously easy filling with only 5 ingredients that you probably already have in your house
- sweet, chopped cherries throughout the tart
- a mousse-like structure that tastes good frozen (think ice cream cake) or straight from the fridge
- need I go on?
I’ve been all about the stone fruits these past few weeks *cough* saskatoon cherry galette *cough* but you could make this tart with just about any fruit. I imagine raspberries and strawberries would go so well with the chocolate flavours!!
The tart comes together really easily, but you’ll need to make sure you account for the required freezer time.
The crust is your standard graham cracker crust, but with the addition of melted chocolate….sooo…I guess not really standard at all!! I use a rolling pin to crush the crackers, and after mixing everything together, I use the back of a measuring spoon to pat the crust down really well in the tart pan. Freeze the crust for about 1 hour.
When the crust is just about frozen, create your filling by melting the chopped chocolate with coconut oil, whisking in the maple syrup and cocoa powder, then folding in whipped cream – when I say whipped – I mean WHIPPED.
Gently fold in the chopped cherries, then pour the filling onto the crust, carefully smoothing it out with a rubber spatula. Freeze the tart for at least 2 hours.
If you’d like the dessert to have a softer, mousse-like texture, remove the tart from the freezer and place in the fridge about 1 hour before serving; otherwise, you can serve it frozen, like an ice cream cake. Personally, I prefer the soft texture!
Drizzle melted chocolate over the tart before serving to make it really pop!
Ok, just talking about all this chocolate is making me feel like I can survive another day of a screamy child. That, and my glass of wine.
No-Bake Chocolate Cherry Tart
Yield 6-8 servings
A fluffy, velvety, no-bake chocolate tart filled with fresh cherries and made with a chocolate graham cracker crust. The perfect summer dessert!
- 10 graham crackers, crushed finely
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 1/2 oz chopped dark chocolate, melted
- 2 oz chopped dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup whipping cream (measure 1 cup before whipping)
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 oz dark chocolate, for drizzling (optional)
- Using a large Ziploc bag and a rolling pin, crush the graham crackers until fine. Combine the melted chocolate and melted butter together in a large mixing bowl, then add the crushed crackers. Stir until all of the cracker crumbs are moistened, then empty the mixture into a 9" tart pan and press down until firmly packed. Place the crust in the freezer for 1 hour prior to filling.
- Prepare the filling by melting the chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave, heating in 30 second intervals and stirring in between, until thoroughly melted. Whisk in the maple syrup and cocoa powder until combined. Beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks begin to form, then fold the whipping cream into the chocolate mixture until combined. Gently fold in the chopped cherries, then empty the mixture onto the frozen crust, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Serve from frozen, or place in the fridge for 1 hour prior to serving. Drizzle with chocolate for added effect.
Leftovers keep in the fridge, in a tightly sealed container for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.
Need more cherries in your life!? Try my galette!
Shop today’s tools!