This super simple turkey burrito skillet is a perfect weeknight meal, made with protein rich ground turkey and full of healthy ingredients. The whole family will love this easy dish ready in 30 minutes or less!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 can (14oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup dry rice
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, diced
- In a large skillet over medium heat on the stove, heat up the olive oil for 1 minute before adding the diced onions and green peppers. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften up.
- Add the ground turkey and continue to cook for 6-7 minutes or until the turkey looks mostly browned. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to break up the meat into smaller pieces.
- Next, add in the drained black beans, followed by the taco seasoning, and rice, and stir everything to combine. Pour in the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth and add the salt. Stir to combine. Turn the heat to high until the mixture starts to boil, then turn it down to low and place the lid on the skillet, simmering for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the skillet, and give everything a stir. Check the rice, and if it’s cooked, remove the skillet from heat. If it’s still crunchy, place the lid back on and simmer for another few minutes. If the mixture looks too dry, add a bit more vegetable broth.
- Once removed from heat, add in the cheddar cheese and stir to combine. Top the skillet with green onions and serve immediately!
Once cooled to room temperature, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: skillet burrito