Bite-sized sweet potato muffins that are completely naturally sweetened, and perfect for little hands, or little lunchboxes!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp bakign powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sweet potato puree* (~ 1/2 1 large potato)
- 1 ripe banana**, mashed
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup oil (avocado, grapeseed or canola)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- optional: 2 tbsp honey, maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1/2 cup milk (any dairy-free milk also works)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly spray a 24-count mini muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the sweet potato puree and mashed banana. Add the egg, oil and applesauce (and extra sweetener, if using) and whisk to combine. Add the milk and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a large wooden spoon until just combined, and no streaks of flour remain.
- Using a spoon, fill the muffin tin with batter, about 3/4 full. Bake the muffins for 11-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the toothpick is still a bit gunky, bake the muffins for an additional 2 minutes before checking again.
*You can use purple or orange sweet potatoes. I find the orange has a nicer texture when pureed! I steam my sweet potato until fork tender and then mash it with a fork. You could also roast your sweet potato in the oven, at 425F for about 45 minutes. Prick the sweet potato with a fork all over before roasting.
**Make sure to use a REALLY ripe banana, to get the maximum sweetness!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: sweet potato muffin, healthy muffins, muffins for babies, baby led weaning