An easy barbacoa recipe that’s all done in the Instant Pot! Try it tonight for the softest, juiciest, most flavourful instant pot shredded beef tacos!
- 2–3 lb chuck or bottom blade roast
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup Citizen Brewery beer*
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- optional: 1/2 cup prepared salsa, 1 tin diced green chilies
- 6 small flour tortillas
- shredded lettuce, shredded carrots, sliced radishes, sour cream, salsa and lime juice for serving
- About 30 minutes to an hour before cooking, take your roast out of the fridge to allow it to come to room temperature, and cut it into large chunks.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté on medium and heat the oil. Add the meat, and brown on all sides, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add the minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, and oregano. Stir to combine and cook for an additional minute. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the lime juice, beer and beef broth, then close and seal the Instant Pot, making sure the valve is sealed. Turn the Instant Pot to manual pressure cook on high for 45 minutes. The Instant Pot will take 10 minutes or so to come to pressure. Once the timer beeps, let the Instant Pot release pressure on its own for about 10 minutes, then perform a quick release until all of the steam is released. Unlock the lid and open.
- Remove the beef with tongs, and using 2 forks, shred all of the meat and then return it to the pot, stirring it to combine with the liquid.**
- Optional: Turn the Instant Pot to sauté and add the prepared salsa and a tin of diced green chilies. Stir to combine and heat thoroughly. Serve immediately in flour tortillas along with shredded lettuce, carrots, and radishes. Top with sour cream and salsa! Don’t forget the glass of beer!
Leftover barbacoa meat can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
*I haven’t tested this recipe with an IPA, so I can only suggest you use a pale ale. If you prefer not to use beer, just use additional beef broth instead!
**For a thicker sauce, before adding the shredded meat back in, turn the Instant Pot to sauté and add 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with water. Stir it around and allow it to bubble and thicken before adding the meat back in.
Keywords: beef barbacoa tacos, beef barbacoa, instant pot beef