Let your baby have all the fun of their very own healthy smash cake, free of refined sugars and unhealthy fats. This easy healthy smash cake recipe is the perfect compromise for your baby’s first birthday cake.
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 banana, very ripe
- 3 strawberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F and butter and flour a 6″ springform pan*
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Place the banana, strawberries and applesauce together in a blender and mix on high until completely pureed.
- In another small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the fruit puree, the milk, egg and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and carefully stir with a large wooden spoon until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before running a knife along the edge of the pan and removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If wanting to create 2 layers, use a long piece of dental floss to cut the cake through the middle. Wrap the cooled cake in saran wrap until ready to place on a plate and frost.
Whipped Cream Frosting
- Place a mixing bowl and beater in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours before you are about to prepare the whipped cream. Pour the whipped cream into the chilled bowl, and beat on high with an electric mixer until the cream is the consistency you prefer.
- Frost the bottom layer of the cake first, then follow with the top layer. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve*
- You could also use two 4 1/2″ pans. Reduce cooking time to about 20-23 minutes.
- I recommend frosting the cake no more than 3-4 hours before serving to ensure the whipped cream maintains its shape.
Keywords: healthy smash cake, healthy smash cake recipe, easy healthy smash cake, healthy 1st birthday cake alternatives