Think a sugar free blueberry pie is too good to be true? Think again! This healthy blueberry pie with an almond flour crust is sugar free, low carb and VERY delicious! Use fresh or frozen blueberries for an easy holiday pie!
Almond Flour Pie Crust
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, or salted butter, cold
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener (sub regular sugar)*
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp cornstarch**
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly butter or grease a 9″ pie plate. Add the flour and salt to a food processor and pulse lightly. Add the coconut oil (or butter) and egg and continue to lightly pulse until a “ball” of dough is formed. Remove about 1/3 of the dough and set aside. Spread the remaining dough out, using your hands, into the pie plate. Use a fork to prick the edges for a prettier crust. Bake the pie crust for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow the crust to cool while you prepare the filling. Keep the oven on!
- While the pie crust is baking, make the pie crust hearts. Place the remaining dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll it out to about 1/4″ thick and remove the top layer of paper. Use a small heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out as many hearts as you can fit on the rolled out pie dough. Slide the parchment paper onto a baking sheet and then bake for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine together 3 cups of blueberries, the sweetener, cold water, cornstarch and pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until thickened. Use a fork to smash some of the blueberries while the mixture is simmering. Remove from heat, add the butter and lemon juice, and remaining blueberries. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust and place the baked hearts strategically onto the pie.
- Place the pie in the fridge for at least 1 hour to let it fully thicken before serving (with ice cream)! If you want to serve the pie warm, cover it with aluminum foil and place it in the oven for 25-30 minutes, preheated to 300F.
Leftover pie can be stored in the fridge, covered, for 3-4 days.
*I used Swerve sweetener, but you can use your favourite granulated sweetener.
**You can use guar gum if you would like to lower the net carbs of this pie
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: pies
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: blueberry recipes low carb // sugar free blueberry pie // low carb blueberry pie