These bakery-style jumbo muffins are the BEST strawberry rhubarb muffins! They’re packed with strawberries, rhubarb and 2 layers of streusel. Dense, filling and oh, so delightful!
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb*
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk*
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup strawberries, diced*
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 425 F and spray a 6-count jumbo muffin tin with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, place the rhubarb and cook, stirring often for about 15 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and the melted butter and stir to combine. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add the beaten egg, milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- Prepare the streusel. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the chopped pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Cut in the cubed butter until the mixture becomes coarse and pea-like. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, remaining brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry, stirring with a spatula until just moistened. Fold in the diced strawberries.
- Place 1/4 of muffin batter in the bottom of each muffin cavity. Top with 1.5 tbsp of streusel, then cover the streusel with the remaining muffin batter, divided equally. Top with remaining streusel.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool at least 10 minutes. Run a knife along the edges of the muffins to loosen before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Muffins will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature for 2-3 days. Muffins freeze very well, up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
- If using frozen rhubarb, measure 2 cups frozen. Do not thaw before simmering in the pot.
- Any milk will work here, including non-dairy. I used 1%.
- If using frozen diced strawberries, do not thaw first.
- Pecans may be substituted for slivered almonds, or another nut
- For standard size muffins, reduce the amount of batter to 2 tbsp in the bottom of each tin, and reduce baking time to 12-14 minutes at 375 F.
- Category: muffins
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: spring
Keywords: best strawberry rhubarb muffins // strawberry rhubarb muffins