These chorizo stuffed peppers are a super easy meal that the whole family will love. Cheesy, stuffed peppers with rice, beans and chorizo!
- 3 large bell peppers, halved, cored and seeds removed*
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb spicy chorizo
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked rice**
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- optional: avocado, cilantro, sour cream, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and add 1/4″ water to the bottom of a 9 x 13″ baking dish or similar sized casserole dish. Place the open bell peppers, arranged side by side, into the baking dish.
- In a large pan on the stove, over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil and then add the diced onion, cooking for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the chorizo, and cook until the meat has browned. Drain any excess oil, if there is any.
- Stir in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning and chili powder. Add the black beans, cooked rice, and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir to combine, then remove from heat.
- Fill the peppers to the top with stuffing, about 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup. You may have leftover stuffing! Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil, and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and remove the foil, sprinkling the remaining cup of shredded cheese over the tops of the peppers. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the peppers are fork tender. Place the pan under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to turn the cheese to a golden brown. Serve immediately, with avocado, cilantro and sour cream (optional).
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, for 3-4 days. Reheat the peppers in the microwave or in the oven at 275 F for 15 minutes.
Make Ahead: To prep ahead, core and slice the peppers as directed and store them in the fridge. Prep the stuffing as directed and store it in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. Add it to the peppers and cook as directed.
*Use any color bell pepper you prefer.
**To keep this recipe low-carb, swap the rice for cooked cauliflower rice
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chorizo stuffed peppers // cheesy stuffed peppers // low carb stuffed peppers