This dark chocolate semifreddo couldn’t get any easier to make! It’s such a great easy dessert to serve your family or guests, especially on a hot day!
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- optional: 2 tbsp chocolate, for drizzling on top
- An hour before starting the recipe, place a metal mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the fridge. Place the egg whites in a glass bowl along with the sugar and honey, over a pot of boiling water. Continuously stir until the sugar completely dissolves, then remove the mixture from the heat and set it aside for about 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the fridge and add the egg white mixture to it. Whip the mixture on high until the meringue forms and becomes smooth and glossy. Set aside.
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler. If using a double boiler, heat the chocolate in 30 minute increments, stirring in between, until smooth and melty.
- In another large mixing bowl, use a spatula to fold 1/3 of the meringue mixture into 1/3 of the whipped cream, then repeat with the remaining meringue and cream until combined. Add the chocolate and gently fold it all together until combined.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Smooth out the top with a spatula then place the mixture into the freezer for 5-6 hours.
- Once the semifreddo is “semi-frozen” you can jazz it up by drizzling chocolate over the cake and adding any other topping or decoration you’d like, such as chopped up chocolate. Serve immediately.
Leftover semifreddo can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 2 months.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: ice cream
- Method: no churn
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chocolate semifreddo