Take a bite out of decadence with this chocolate caramel cheesecake featuring a chocolate cookie crust, caramel bottom and chocolate filling.
Chocolate Cookie Crust
- 2 cups finely crushed chocolate cookies (I used Oreo)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 24 oz full-fat cream cheese, room temperature*
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 16 oz dark chocolate, divided**
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup caramel sauce, divided***
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- optional: additional chocolate, caramels, sprinkles for decorating****
- Preheat the oven to 350F and spray a 9″ springform pan with non-stick spray. Combine together the cookie crumbs with the melted butter, then press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan, leaving a 1″ border up and around the edges. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium-high until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar then beat for an additional minute. In a heat-proof bowl, melt 8 oz of the chocolate in the microwave at medium heat, stirring every 30 seconds. Once melted and smooth, add the espresso powder and stir to combine. Pour the melted chocolate into the mixing bowl and beat for 1 minute until combined. With the mixer running on low, beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract and salt.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the caramel sauce onto the chocolate crust, followed by the chocolate cheesecake mixture, using a spatula to smooth it out. Place a baking sheet filled with 1″ of water on the bottom rack of the oven. Place the cheesecake on the top rack, and bake for 45 minutes, or until the center of the cheesecake is firm, yet slightly jiggly when you give the pan a slight shake Turn off the oven, and open the oven door a crack. Allow the cheesecake to cool down inside the oven for 45 minutes before removing it to the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours.
- Prepare the ganache. Place the remaining 8 oz of chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the heavy cream until just prior to boiling. Pour the warm cream over the chocolate, then allow it to sit for 1 minute, before stirring to make it completely smooth. Pour the ganache over the top of the chilled cheesecake, using an offset spatula if necessary to smooth it out. Top it with the remaining caramel sauce, and any additional chocolate shavings, sprinkles, etc. Serve immediately, or store in the fridge until serving.
Leftover cheesecake can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days, in an airtight container.
*Be sure to use the bricks, rather than the spreadable tubs
**You can use whatever brand chocolate you prefer. I used 70% dark chocolate chips
***I used my salted caramel sauce recipe, but you can use whatever caramel sauce you prefer, or a store-bought version.
****See the above blog post for ideas on creating chocolate curls
Keywords: chocolate drizzle for cheesecake // salted caramel chocolate cheesecake // oreo cheesecake crust