Light and flaky, these bacon cheddar scones are made with crisped bacon, cheddar and mozzarella cheese and green onions.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, shredded*
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 2 green onions, diced (the green part only)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, parsley and salt. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, work the cold, shredded butter into the flour mixture until it resembles pea-sized crumbs. Slowly add the buttermilk, stirring until a soft dough begins to form. Add both cheeses, the bacon and the onions and continue mixing until the dough comes together completely.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into an 8″ circle, about 1″ thick. Using a sharp knife, divide the circle into 8 equal wedges. Place the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned. Mine took about 16 minutes.
- Remove the scones from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Don’t forget the butter!
Scones are best enjoyed immediately, but can be kept in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days, or 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Scones can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
- I like to take 1/2 cup (block) of butter from the fridge and shred it with my cheese grater. I keep the shaved butter in the freezer while I prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: bacon cheddar scones // savory scones // cheddar chive scones // cheesy scones