If pumpkin pie pancakes sound delightful to you, these buttermilk pumpkin pancakes will not disappoint! Made healthier with no refined sugars, your whole family will love these easy pumpkin pancakes!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree**
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature***
- Start by melting the butter in large, heat-proof bowl. Set it aside while you prepare the dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. In the other heat-proof bowl, add the pumpkin puree to the melted butter and whisk. Add the egg, maple syrup and vanilla extract and whisk thoroughly. Slowly pour in the buttermilk, continuing to whisk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and use a mixing spoon to gently incorporate the two. Mix just until there are no streaks of flour left.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Melt some butter in the middle (highly recommended) or spray the skillet with non-stick spray. When the butter is sizzling, drop 1/3 cup of batter onto the grill and cook until the edges are done and there are bubbles on top of the pancake. Flip, and cook for an additional minute. Remove the pancakes to serving dish, and keep in an oven preheated to 200 F. Add additional to the griddle for each additional pancake, until the batter is finished. Serve with LOTS of maple syrup and whipped cream!
Leftover pancakes can be stored in an airtight container for 1 day on the counter or 2-3 days in the fridge. They can also be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months.
*If you don’t have pumpkin spice, you can sub: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp all-spice. You can also try this recipe from my friend, Dawn.
**Be sure to use PURE pumpkin rather than pumpkin pie filling
***You’ll get the best results with store-bought buttermilk. You can make your own using milk and 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar but they won’t be quite as fluffy!
Keywords: pumpkin pancakes // easy pumpkin pancakes // buttermilk pumpkin pancakes