100% naturally sweetened baby banana muffins. Make them mini for your wee ones’ breakfast or snack, or make them bigger for you! The perfect baby led weaning muffin.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 very ripe, large bananas
- 2 tbsp avocado or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup raspberries*
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray or line a mini or standard sized muffin pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash bananas until no large lumps remain. Stir in the oil, Greek yogurt and applesauce until combined. Whisk in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Carefully add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until just combined. Do not overmix! Gently fold in the raspberries, if using.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin pan: about 24 mini, or 6 standard-sized. Bake 12-14 minutes for the mini muffins, or 22-25 minutes for the standard-sized, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Muffins stay fresh at room temperature, in a sealed container for up to 1 week. Muffins freeze very well, up to 2 months.
- Replace raspberries with any other mix-in. Try blueberries, blackberries, diced strawberries, raisins or chocolate chips. Fresh or frozen fruit will work; if using frozen, do not thaw first.
- *Recipe updated February 2019* I’ve updated the recipe to include unsweetened applesauce. The original recipe remains the same other than this addition. The applesauce adds a bit more moisture and sweetness to the muffins, but feel free to omit it!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes