A quick and easy weeknight dinner filled with crisped sausage, zesty rice and sweet bell peppers. It’ll fill your belly with hearty goodness!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb package sausage (smoked, garlic), sliced into 1/2″ rounds
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup wholegrain brown rice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 14oz can diced tomato
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14oz can white beans
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the sliced sausage, and fry for another 5 minutes, or until the sausage begins to brown. Add the green pepper and rice, and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomato paste, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add the can of diced tomatoes, chicken broth and white beans and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed. Serve immediately.
Leftovers keep in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.