Fluffy, soft whole wheat buttermilk pancakes studded with juicy blueberries! These healthy whole wheat blueberry pancakes are a weekend breakfast game-changer!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk*
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled (plus more for cooking the pancakes)
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries*
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In another medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk in the melted butter (be sure it has cooled enough that it won’t “cook” your eggs).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir together until just combined (do not overmix)! Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Heat an electric griddle or frying pan over the stove on medium heat, and add a dollop of butter to the pan, allowing it to coat the bottom of the pan. Using about 1/3 cup at a time, drop the batter into the pan to form your pancake. Wait until you see bubbles begin to form on the top, about 2 minutes, then swiftly flip the pancake and cook through, about 2 more minutes. Repeat with more butter and batter. Keep the pancakes warm in an oven preheated to 175 F on a cookie sheet, until all of the pancakes are done. Serve with maple syrup, whipped cream, and more blueberries!
Pancakes will keep in the fridge, in an airtight container for 2-3 days and in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To make your own buttermilk, simply measure 2 cups of milk into a measuring cup, and add 2 tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar and let the mixture stand for 5-10 minutes before using.
- Frozen blueberries may be used in place of fresh; be sure to add them right at the end and be very gentle to prevent colour bleeding into your batter.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: pan fry
Keywords: whole wheat buttermilk pancakes // whole wheat blueberry pancakes // healthy blueberry pancakes // whole wheat pancake recipe