This cheesy vegetable casserole is a great weeknight dinner that you can have on the table in 30 minutes! You’ll love this hearty veggie pasta bake smothered in cheese and baked to perfection!
- 3/4 lb (340 grams) short cut pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 650 mL jar pasta sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and spray a 9 x 13″ pan with nonstick spray. Fill a large pot with water over high heat on the stove. Once it reaches a boiling temperature, generously salt the water and add the pasta. Cook until just al dente, usually about 6-7 minutes. Drain, and set the pasta aside to cool.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on the stove to medium-high and add the olive oil. After a minute, add the diced onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, before adding in the pepper, zucchini and carrots. Cook on low-medium heat for about 5-6 minutes or until the carrots are softened. Add in the peas, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for another minute or so. Remove the skillet from heat.
- Add the drained pasta to the cooked vegetables, along with the pasta sauce. Stir everything together until thoroughly combined, then empty the contents into the prepared casserole dish. Top the casserole with the mozzarella cheese, followed by the parmesan cheese.
- Bake the pasta for 15-20 minutes in the oven, until the cheese is browned and bubbly. Remove the casserole dish from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, for 3-4 days.
*If you plan to make this veggie pasta bake a freezer meal, allow the cooked casserole to cool completely to room temperature before wrapping tightly with aluminum foil and placing it in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in an oven heated to 350 F for 45 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: vegetarian
Keywords: veggie pasta bake // vegetable casserole // vegetable bake // vegetable pasta bake