Need dinner on the table in a hurry? This veggie and sausage pasta skillet is just what you need! Fine garlic sausage mixed with cauliflower, peas and pasta, all smothered in a lightened up cream sauce.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb Grimm’s fine garlic sausage, sliced into 1/2” rounds
- 3 cups short-cut pasta*
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup chicken stock (sub for veggie)
- 2 cups 1% milk**
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- optional: crispy onions, black pepper, for garnish
- Heat a large 12″ skillet or fry pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Allow the oil to heat up for 1-2 minutes before adding the diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes before adding the sausage rounds. Fry the sausage until brown and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta, cauliflower, stock, milk and flour. Stir everything together until combined, being sure the flour is thoroughly dispersed into the liquid. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down to simmer over low-medium heat for 10-11 minutes, or until the pasta is fork-tender.*** Keep the lid on, with a slight crack to allow steam to escape.
- Turn the heat to low, and add the frozen peas and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes. Serve immediately, topping with crispy onions and black pepper for garnish.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container, for up to 2 days, or frozen for up to 2 months. Store the leftovers without the crispy onions.
* I used orecchiette pasta, but you can use any short-cut pasta you like (bow tie pasta, fiorelli, etc)
**Sub for unsweetened almond milk if dairy-free.
***If the liquid has evaporated before the pasta is cooked, add a bit more stock to continue cooking.
- Category: dinner
- Method: one pan
Keywords: veggie and sausage pasta skillet // sausage pasta skillet // sausage and pasta casserole // sausage and pasta dishes // sausage pasta skillet