The most simple savory cookies, these thyme and cheddar cheese cookies are a perfect addition to any party. Add them to a snack board for something extra special!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- zest of 1 medium navel orange
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter on high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the granulated sugar, orange zest, fresh thyme, salt and pepper and mix again for another minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, as needed.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly add in the flour, followed by the fresh orange juice. Pack the dough tightly into a ball, separate it into 2 pieces and wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap, placing them in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour, but preferably 3-4 hours.*
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly flour a surface and roll out one of the discs of dough to about a 1/4″ thickness. Use mini cookie cutters to cut out the shapes of dough, then place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Repeat with remaining dough and second disc of dough.
- Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes, or until the cookies are very lightly browned on the edges. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve immediately!
Leftover cookies can be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days in an airtight container, up to 1 week in the fridge or up to 2 months in the freezer. If freezing the cookies, thaw at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
*The dough can be kept in the fridge, in plastic wrap, for up to 3 days. If you keep it in the fridge for longer than 4 hours, allow the dough to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before rolling it out.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: savory cookies// cheddar cheese cookies // butter cheese cookies // savory cookies