If you love chicken meatballs, you will love this Thai spin on them! Thai chicken meatballs simmered in a flavourful red curry sauce, served with vegetables and rice!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely diced
- 1” grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, for frying
Red Curry Sauce
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp red curry paste*
- 1 can (400mL) full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup diced bell pepper (red or yellow)
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp fresh Thai basil, plus more for serving
- coconut rice for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the ground chicken, green onions, garlic, curry paste, cilantro, ginger and salt. Mix until everything is fully combined, then use your hands or a cookie scoop to create 2″ wide meatballs, making them as similar in size as possible. Set the prepared meatballs on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- On a stove over medium heat, add the avocado oil and allow it to heat up for 1-2 minutes. Add the meatballs to the warm oil in an even layer, spacing them apart as much as possible.
- Fry the meatballs on one side for about 4 minutes, or until they easily release from the pan. Turn the meatballs and cook them on the other side for an additional 3-4 minutes or until browned. Check the internal temperature to ensure they’ve reached a temperature of at least 165 F. Once fully cooked, use tongs to remove the meatballs to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Prepare the curry sauce. In the same pan over low-medium heat, add another tablespoon of oil. Once warm, add the diced shallot, cooking them for 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the garlic, and cook for another minute. Add the curry paste and stir to combine, cooking for a minute. Slowly pour in the coconut milk, and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Gently add the mixed fresh vegetables, cooking them in the sauce until tender-crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the fish sauce, brown sugar and lime juice, then add the cooked meatballs back into the pan. Stir everything together and allow it to simmer on low for 4-5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over coconut rice, rice, cauliflower rice, or even zucchini noodles!
Leftover meatballs and sauce can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 2-3 days and reheated on the stove or in the microwave.
For freezing instructions for the meatballs, see the blog post above.
*If you want the sauce a bit spicier add another tablespoon of paste, for a less spicy version, use 1 tablespoon instead of 2.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: thai
Keywords: thai meatballs // chicken meatballs // thai chicken meatballs