Tacos aren’t just for Tuesday. Try this taco salad with ground beef, crisp lettuce and colorful vegetables topped with cheese!
Seasoned Tortilla Strips
- 4 small flour tortillas
- 2 tsp oil (grapeseed, canola or avocado)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Creamy Italian Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 small red onion
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb ground beef (sub ground turkey or chicken)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro, avocado for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a large baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Cut the tortillas into 1/2″ strips and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with the oil and toss to completely cover. Combine the seasonings and shake over the tortillas, tossing to thoroughly cover the strips. Bake for 5 minutes, remove from the oven and shake, then bake for an additional 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all ingredients together in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a salad dressing bottle and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook the meat until browned, breaking into smaller pieces as it cooks. Drain, return to pan and sprinkle the meat with the cumin and chili powder, cooking for an additional minute. Combine the salsa with the sour cream, then add to the meat, cooking for another minute or until the meat is covered in the mixture. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the chopped lettuce, diced tomato, bell pepper, carrot, celery and purple cabbage together. Add the cheese, browned meat and seasoned tortilla strips and toss together.
- Serve the salad on a plate or in a tortilla bowl, topping with the creamy Italian dressing*, avocado and cilantro.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days, covered.
- To avoid soggy lettuce, do not add the dressing to the entire salad, but instead add it to the individual servings.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: easy taco salad / simple taco salad // edible taco bowls