Upgrade your party game with one of the best rhubarb appetizers! You will love serving up this strawberry rhubarb salsa!
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, thinly sliced*
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced**
- 1 shallot, finely diced (or 1/4 cup white onion)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, diced
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Fill a small saucepan with water and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, add the sliced rhubarb to the pot and cook for 1 minute, before immediately removing from heat, draining, and plunging into a bowl of ice water for 1 minute. Drain the rhubarb, then lay it out on a paper towel to allow all of the liquid to release.
- Combine together in a medium serving bowl, the drained rhubarb, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, shallot, strawberries and cilantro. Whisk together the lime juice, red wine vinegar, honey and minced garlic. Pour this liquid over the salsa and stir to combine. Refrigerate the salsa for 2-3 hours to allow the flavors to mingle, or serve immediately with chips.
Leftover salsa can be kept in the fridge for up to 1 day.
*If wanting to use frozen rhubarb, read the blog post above.
**Depending on our threshold for spice, you may want to keep the seeds for extra spice, or even increase the number of jalapenos to 2.
- Category: appetizers
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: rhubarb appetizers // strawberry rhubarb salsa // rhubarb salsa // strawberry salsa