Heart-shaped decadence in the form of strawberries and Nutella all wrapped up in a simple, flaky, buttery crust.
- 1 1//2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup cold milk* (any kind)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries (sliced in half if large)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Nutella or notella
- 1 egg, beaten
- Melted dark chocolate, or extra Nutella for drizzling (optional)
- Prepare the dough by sifting together the flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Using a pasty blender or a fork, cut in the cubed butter until the mixture turns into coarse pea-sized crumbs. Slowly pour in the milk a little at a time, gently mixing with a spatula until a soft dough begins to form. Be careful not to overmix! Use your hands to form the dough into a ball, then flatten it into a disc and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Store the disc in the fridge for at least an hour, or up to 3 days*.
- Place the strawberries in a small bowl along with the flour and maple syrup, and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to sit covered in the fridge while the dough chills, or 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll out the chilled dough into a 12″ circle (or heart). Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the strawberries in the center of the dough, ensuring you leave most of the liquid behind. You should have about a 2-3″ border of dough all around. Heat the Nutella in a microwave-safe bowl for about 30 seconds, or until it becomes more fluid. Pour the Nutella all over the strawberries in the center of the dough.
- Gently lift the edges of the dough up and over the filling in sections, pressing down lightly. Now is a good time to trim the dough a bit to create that heart shape! When all of the dough is lifted up and overlapping, brush the edges with the beaten egg all over, and sprinkle with a bit of sugar. Place the galette in the oven and bake for 28-33 minutes, or until the crust is a light golden brown.
- Remove the galette from the oven, and drizzle it with melted chocolate or extra Nutella. Top with ice cream, and serve immediately!
Leftover galette can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Milk can be substituted for water; I find that the milk creates a richer crust.
- Prepared galette crust can be stored in the freezer, tightly wrapped, for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before using.