The most simple strawberry lemon dessert! This strawberry lemon curd tart with a gingersnap crust only requires a few ingredients and is simply delicious!
- 25 gingersnap cookies (175 grams)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1.5 cups strawberry lemon curd, completely chilled
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg whites, room temperature (fresh is preferred)
- 1/4 tsp cream or tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 9″ tart pan with removeable bottom, or pie plate. Add the gingersnap cookies to a food processor and pulse until crumbly; alternatively, place the cookies in a resealable bag and use a rolling pin to crush the cookies into crumbs. Place the crumbs in a bowl with the melted butter, and stir until the crumbs are completely incorporated with the butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of the tart pan, adding an inch or so of height around the edge. Press the crust down firmly, then place in the oven to bake for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove the pan to cool completely before adding the filling.
- Pour the chilled strawberry lemon curd into the center of the crust. If the curd is very runny, you may want to freeze the tart and serve it from frozen; otherwise, place the filled tart into the fridge to firm up, for 2-3 hours. Slice and serve or add the optional meringue topping.
- Optional Meringue Topping: In a small saucepan on the stove, stir together the water and sugar over medium heat. Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn it down and simmer for a few minutes until the temperature reaches 240 F. While the syrup is heating up, place the room temperature egg whites, along with the cream of tartar, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or use a handheld electric mixer. Whip the whites on high until soft peaks begin to form.
- When the syrup is ready, turn the mixer down to low and slowly add the syrup to the egg whites. Once added, turn the mixer to high and whip until smooth, glossy and forming stiff peaks. Spoon the meringue over the tart or place it into a piping bag to pipe decorations on top of the tart. Torch with a handheld torch if you’d like!
Leftover tart can be stored in the fridge or freezer for 4-5 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: strawberry lemon tart // strawberry lemon curd tart // strawberry lemon pie