Colorful vegetables and flavorful chicken simmer together to make a spicy Thai chicken noodle soup! Perfect for chilly weather, this Thai noodle soup is warm and comforting.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, in small pieces
- 3 tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 6 cups chicken stock, low sodium*
- 2 cups fresh vegetables, diced (carrots, bell peppers, snow peas)
- 1 lb cooked chicken, shredded
- 6 oz rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 400mL can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- juice of 1 lime (optional)
- cilantro, for garnish
- In a large pot over the stove, on medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the ginger, garlic cloves and diced shallot. Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the fresh basil and green curry paste, and sauté for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Slowly pour in the chicken stock, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, add the vegetables and the chicken, and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer for 15 minutes. Add the vermicelli noodles, and the coconut milk and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes or until the vegetables and noodles are tender. Add the fish sauce and brown sugar. Add the lime juice (if using) just prior to serving.
Once cooled, the leftovers can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.
*Use vegetable stock and skip the chicken for a vegetarian version of the soup
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: thai
Keywords: spicy Thai chicken noodle soup // Thai noodle soup