This simple butternut squash soup is creamy, healthy and vegan. Warm your bellies with a roasted butternut squash soup with apple, celery and coconut milk.
- 2–3lb butternut squash, peeled, cored and diced into 1–2” pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk (I use full fat)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- dash of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place all of the prepared vegetables, plus the garlic together on a baking pan, and drizzle with the olive oil. Add the fresh rosemary to the pan, along with the salt and pepper. Roast everything in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the squash can be pierced easily with a fork.
- Remove the baking pan and discard the rosemary, except for 1 sprig. Remove the roasted leaves from 1 half of a sprig and add it back to the roasted vegetables, discarding the other half. Place the vegetables into a high powered blender, along with 2 cups of vegetable stock. Blend on high until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a large soup pot on the stove over medium-high heat, whisking in the additional vegetable stock. Add the nutmeg and stir to combine, heating everything together until it begins to simmer. Add the coconut milk and stir, cooking for an additional 5 minutes or so, until heated thoroughly. Taste, and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately, garnishing with croutons, pomegranate, or an extra drizzle of coconut milk.
Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge, for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
*If substituting for dried rosemary, add 1/2 tsp dried rosemary at the same time you add then nutmeg to the soup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: simple butternut squash soup // healthy butternut squash soup // creamy butternut squash soup