We all need a cozy soup some days! This sausage gnocchi soup is so flavorful and hearty, it will fill you up and delight your taste buds.
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 14oz can fire-roasted tomatoes*
- 1 8oz can pure tomato sauce
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or chicken)
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb potato gnocchi
- 2 cups spinach
- freshly shaved parmesan, croutons for serving
- Heat a large stockpot or soup pot on the stove over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 6-7 minutes. If there is a lot of grease, drain most of it, reserving about 2 tablespoons (it doesn’t have to be exact).
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and bell pepper to the pot and stir to combine, cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic, and Italian seasoning and stir to combine. Add in the fire-roasted tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir together. Pour in the stock and water, stir together and then bring everything to a boil, before turning it down to to a simmer for 15-20 minutes, with the lid on. I usually leave a bit of a gap in the lid to allow some steam to escape.
- Remove the lid from the pot, and add the gnocchi and spinach to the soup. Cook for an additional few minutes, until the gnocchi begins to float to the top. Serve immediately, with a sprinkle of shaved parmesan and croutons!
Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, for 2-3 days. The soup can be frozen as well, up to 2 months.**
* I HIGHLY recommend using fire-roasted tomatoes in this recipe, but if you can’t get your hands on some, regular diced tomatoes will do fine.
**If you’re making the soup specifically to freeze for later, I suggest leaving the spinach out until you are reheating the soup to serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: sausage gnocchi soup // gnocchi soup recipe // sausage and gnocchi soup