This delicious lazy cherry saskatoon pie is a delicious shortcut on pie! Fresh berries and basil combined with lemon zest for a super summer dessert!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup cold milk (any milk is fine)
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- 1 1/2 cups saskatoons (or blueberries)
- 1/2 cups fresh, pitted cherries
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- Prepare the dough for the crust by whisking together the flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Cut in the cold butter quickly, using a pastry cutter or fork, until the mixture begins to form pea-sized crumbs. Slowly pour in the cold milk, stirring until the flour is moist and a dough begins to form. Gently knead (I used my hands) the dough until it forms a ball. Cover the ball of dough tightly in saran wrap and place in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the filling by combining the saskatoons, cherries, sugar, flour, fresh basil and zest. Toss well then allow the mixture to sit while the dough chills.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and place a large piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat over a baking sheet. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until you’ve formed a 12″ circle. Carefully transfer the dough to the parchment paper and then place the prepared filling into the middle of the dough, leaving about a 2″ edge all around. Gently lift the edge in overlapping sections to fold over the fruit, sealing the edges as you go.
- Brush the beaten egg over the dough and sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is light brown. Allow to cool, or serve immediately (with ICE CREAM).
Leftovers will keep in the fridge, covered, for 3-4 days. Remove and reheat before serving.
- Category: pies
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: lazy cherry saskatoon pie // saskatoon berry galette