The best salted caramel sauce! Perfect on pancakes or over ice cream, there are endless ways to enjoy this easy homemade salted caramel sauce!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream*
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 – 1 1/4 tsp sea salt, to taste
- Combine the sugar and water until thoroughly mixed in a medium sized saucepan. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Without stirring, allow the mixture to simmer for about 12-15 minutes, or until it has turned a deep amber hue.
- While the sugar and water is simmering, place the heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat and allow to warm. Do not allow the cream to boil.
- When the sugar and water mixture has turned into a deep amber hue, turn the heat to low and slowly whisk in the warm cream.
- Allow the sauce to simmer on low for a couple of minutes, then remove from heat and stir in the butter, vanilla and salt, to taste. Start with 3/4 tsp and add more as necessary.
- Serve the sauce warm, or allow to cool and place into a glass jar. Sealed sauce will keep at room temperature for 3 days and in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
*I use 35% whipping cream; I would not recommend using half and half or anything much less than 35% milk fat.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: easy salted caramel sauce // homemade salted caramel // best salted caramel sauce