The only thing better than apple pie is salted caramel apple crisp! An easy caramel apple crisp makes for the perfect fall dessert that easily feeds a crowd
- 4–5 apples*, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed (cold)
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce*, plus more for drizzling
- optional: ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a 10″ or 11″ cast iron skillet, or 8″x8″ baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the diced apples, granulated sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Toss to coat the apples. In another medium-sized bowl, combine the rolled oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and all-purpose flour. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut in the cubed butter until the mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs.
- Empty the apples in an even layer in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the salted caramel sauce all over the apples, and stir to combine. Scatter the oat mixture over the apples, in an even layer. The mixture should thoroughly cover the apples. Place the dish in the oven, and cook for 45-50 minutes until bubbling and hot. Remove, and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving with a dollop of ice cream!
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Make ahead: the crisp can be made ahead of time and assembled, and kept in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap up to 1 day ahead.
- I would recommend using a crisp, tart apple like a Granny Smith, but really, any apple you have on hand works!
Keywords: salted caramel desserts // easy caramel apple crisp // fall dessert