Try something different this weekend with a pear and goat cheese pizza! It’s a scrumptious pear pizza with bacon, caramelized onions and candied walnuts.
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 1/8 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface/rolling
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 onion, caramelized*
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 pear, sliced into 1/4” thick pieces
- 3 slices bacon, fried then crumbled
- 1/4 cup candied walnuts
- handful arugula
- 2 tsp balsamic reduction**
- Prepare the pizza dough. If using a pre-baked crust, skip these steps and proceed to step 4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, stir together the warm water and yeast. Leave it for 5 minutes to allow it to foam up; if nothing happens, discard and try again with new yeast.
- Add the honey, olive oil, salt and all of the flour. Mix on medium-high until everything is combined, then set the mixer to high and mix (knead) for 5 minutes. The dough should pull away from the bowl. If it is sticking, add a few tablespoons of flour at a time. The dough is done when it is soft and bounces back when you poke it with a finger. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a dishcloth, letting it rise for 1-2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Make the pizza. Preheat the oven to 425 F. When ready to bake the pizza, punch the dough down and then turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll it out with a floured rolling pin, rolling it into a 11″ circle. Place it on to a pizza stone or a parchment-lined pizza pan. Place the pizza in the oven for 5-6 minutes and then remove.
- Brush the pizza with the olive oil, then sprinkle it with the ground cinnamon. Cover the pizza in caramelized onions, followed by crumbled goat cheese. Arrange the pear slices across the pizza. Place the pizza back into the oven for 15 minutes, or until the edges are browned. Remove the pizza, then top with the crumbled bacon, candied walnuts and arugula. Drizzle the balsamic reduction all over the pizza. Serve immediately!
Leftover pizza can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat the pizza in a frying pan on the stovetop over medium heat, with the lid on.
*For instructions on how to caramelize the onions, refer to above post text
**To make balsamic reduction, place 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp honey in a saucepan over medium heat. Allow the vinegar to come to a boil, then turn down and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until it has reduced and thickened. Use immediately.
- Category: pizza
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pear and goat cheese pizza // pear pizza goat cheese // walnut pizza // pear goat cheese arugula pizza