A light, airy, green tea cake that has the best matcha frosting! This matcha vanilla cake will delight and surprise!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp matcha powder*
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (grapeseed, canola)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, grease and lightly flour two 9″ cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and matcha powder. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or using an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until creamed together, and smooth (about 3-4 minutes). Add the oil, and mix together for another couple of minutes. With the mixer running on low, add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla bean paste. Scrape down the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula as necessary. With the mixer still on low, add half of the flour mixture to the batter, followed by the buttermilk, then the remaining flour mixture. Mix just until there is no more flour visible.
- Pour the batter into the two pans, using a scale if necessary to ensure they’re evenly distributed. Bake the cakes until done, about 25 minutes; check to see if they’re done by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, remove the cakes from the oven. If not, bake for an additional couple of minutes. Cool the cakes in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare the buttercream. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium until light and fluffy. Add half of the powdered sugar, followed by half of the cream, all of the vanilla bean paste and salt. Add the remaining powdered sugar and heavy cream. Remove half of the frosting to another bowl. Add the matcha powder to the remaining frosting in the mixing bowl and mix on high until thoroughly combined.
- Assemble and frost the cake by placing one layer on a cake stand or cake circle, adding a layer of vanilla frosting, and placing the second layer on top. Use the remaining vanilla frosting to lightly coat the entire cake (this is your crumb coat). Ice and decorate the rest of the cake with the matcha frosting!
Cake will keep well at room temperature for 3-4 days. Leftovers can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Cake layers may also be prepared in advance and frozen for up to 2 months.
- I buy my matcha powder at Bulk Barn.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: cakes
- Method: oven bake
Keywords: green tea cake // matcha vanilla cake // green tea layer cake recipe // matcha cake recipe // matcha cake