Smashed and baked mini stuffed potatoes loaded with cheese, sour cream, bacon and dill! You’ll love these loaded smashed potatoes as a side or appetizer. What’s better than smashed potatoes with cheese?!
- 1 bag (1 1/2 lbs) baby potatoes*
- 3 slices bacon, uncooked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1–2 tbsp dill
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot covered with 1″ of water. Bring the pot to a boil over medium-high heat and cook the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are just fork-tender. While the potatoes are cooking, place the bacon in a large pan over medium-high heat and cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a separate plate lined with paper towel, reserving about 2 tablespoons of the grease*. When the bacon has cooled, crumble the strips into a small bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Drain the potatoes, and pat dry with a paper towel. Place the potatoes in the pan with the reserved bacon grease, and roll them around until they’re coated. Line the potaoes up on a large rimmed baking sheet, about 2″ apart. Using a fork, gently press down on each potato to “smash” it. Bake the potoates for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes, and sprinkle the cheese evenly over all of the potatoes. Place the potatoes back into the oven for about 5 minutes. Remove the pan, and add a dollop of sour cream on each of the potatoes. Top with the crumbled bacon and scatter evenly with dill. Sprinkle with potatoes with salt and pepper, if desired.
- I prefer yellow potatoes, but I’ve used red successfully. If you can find mini Yukon-gold potatoes, these would be ideal!
- If you prefer not to coat the potatoes in the bacon grease, you can use 2 tbsp of olive oil instead.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: appetizers
- Method: bake
Keywords: loaded potatoes // mini twice baked potatoes // smashed potatoes with cheese