A holiday classic in donut form – making it perfectly acceptable for breakfast! Soft chocolate chip baked donuts with pecans, coconut and a condensed milk glaze make for a perfect weekend treat!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. oil (neutral oil, like grapeseed or canola)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2–3 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- crumbled graham crackers, for topping (1-2)
- shredded coconut, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray an 8-cavity donut pan with non-stick spray. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. In another medium sized bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, oil and vanilla. Whisk in the buttermilk. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the wet ingredients into the middle. Using a large spoon, stir the batter until just combined. Add in the chocolate chips, pecans and coconut and stir to combine. Do not overmix!
- Either spoon the batter into the donut cavities, 3/4 full, or empty the batter into a large Ziploc bag, cut one end off and pipe the batter into the donut cavities. Or use a piping bag! I have pictures of this here.
- Bake the donuts for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops spring back when poked. Allow the donuts to cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the donut pan onto a wire rack to completely cool.
- Prepare the glaze. Combine the powdered sugar and condensed milk, adding more or less or either ingredient until you reach a fairly thick consistency. Dip each cooled donut in the glaze, and then decorate with crushed graham crackers and/or more coconut.