Chocolate covered sea salt healthy caramels made with just 5 ingredients! Date caramels topped with sea salt flakes – they’re addictive!
- 1 1/2 cups Medjool dates, pits removed (about 15)
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter*
- 1/2 cup (3 oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- sea salt flakes
- Process the dates with the peanut butter in a food processor until a ball of sticky “dough” forms. Chill the mixture in the freezer for about 10 minutes before removing and shaping the dough into balls (about 2 tsp – 1 tbsp in size)*. Place the caramels on a baking sheet and freeze the balls for another 10 minutes while you prepare the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate with the coconut oil in a heat-proof vessel. I like to use my Pyrex measuring cup for easy dipping! Using a spoon or a dipping tool, dip each caramel in chocolate, place it back on the baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Place the caramels in the fridge or back in the freezer to set for another 10 minutes.
Caramels keep best in the freezer (and can be eaten frozen) but will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge as well.
- Substitute with almond butter or another nut butter.
- Using 1 tbsp of dough will yield about 14 large caramels.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: candy
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: healthy caramels // date caramels // homemade sea salt caramels