This flavorful loaf is a healthier banana bread that’s made with whole wheat! Use up those ripe bananas for a simple healthy banana bread treat!
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (~2-3)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- chopped pecans, extra banana for topping**
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a 9 x 5″ loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a bit hanging out of the sides so you can easily grab it.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another mixing bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas and eggs thoroughly. Add in the applesauce, honey and melted coconut oil and vanilla, and whisk until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and gently stir to combine. Empty the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and bake for 40 minutes. (See notes below for decorative options)! After 40 minutes, check the loaf by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the bread. If the toothpick comes out clean, the loaf is done. If it comes out with batter, bake it for an additional 5 minutes before checking again. Remove the loaf from the oven, and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before removing the loaf to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve!
Leftover banana bread can be kept in an airtight container, for 4-5 days at room temperature. The bread also freezes very well, for up to 2 months.
*You can also use white whole wheat flour, or a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour
**If you want the banana on top like in my photos, slice one banana in half, lengthwise, then place the halves on top of the batter before baking, cut side up.
- Category: bread
- Method: oven bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: healthier banana bread // healthy banana bread // super healthy banana bread // easy whole wheat banana bread